Thursday 30 April 2020

Invention Test

Since we don't go to school so we can't have tech, we get assingned a recipe to do if we want to. This week was an invention test. We had to use at least two. We worked with eggs, cheese, fruit, chocolate. I decided to use eggs and chocolate. I made meringue and got through a lot of rotton eggs. I spread the meringue onto a tray and then chopped it into cracker like shapes and covered in chocolate. I was intentionally trying to make chocolate berry meringues but some things changed. I had a few egg yolks to left to make something with so I made an old fashioned vanilla slice/custard square.

Here is the recipe.

Meringue crackers chocolate things

4 eggs, seperated
1 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of cream of tartar
2 table spoons of coconut oil
1/2 cup of chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 180 degrees
Beat the 4 egg yolks until frothy and bubbly
Gradually add the sugar and cream of tartar, slowly about tablespoon by tablespoon every 30 seconds
Keep beating for the next 4 - 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form
Spread the meringue mix on the baking tray to shape around a 30 cm by 30 cm square
Place into oven for 10 - 15 minutes
Cool if they look brown it doesn't matter it will add to the taste
Cut into 5 to 10 cm pieces
Melt the coconut oil in microwave add chocolate chips for around 15 seconds
stir till smooth and pour over meringue, let cool.
ENJOY!!





2 comments:

  1. Good Morning Sophia
    Excellent work on your invention test. You are displaying the characteristics of a true chef when you utilise the egg yolk, after using the whites. Custard squares are one of my all time favourite sweet treats!
    You mention in your introduction you chose this recipe as you had a lot of 'rotten' eggs to get through. I am presuming you just meant old eggs?
    I have always heard you should never make meringues with fresh eggs, so the aged eggs would have been perfect.
    Mrs Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs Bennett,
    Thanks for the comment. Custard squares are one of my favourite too. I did make the meringue with old eggs, but I meant I accidently got a few rotton eggs when cooking the meringue. Bye, for now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.