Wednesday 22 April 2020

Anzac Day Acrostic

Amid gunshots, deafening, scarring, making me freeze in horror.


Nightmares of death awaiting me filling my head with fright.

Zipping bullets, firing out the machine gun, taking Turkish lives.
Atmosphere filled with pollution, smoke and bullets. 

Cannons bursting my ear drums, making me jump with pain.
Dads, sons, brothers, husbands all lying in their own blood,
could that be me next? I think to myself, will I ever see my family again?
Aching feet from life in the trenches.
Muddy cold, sore, never dry and worn as I get off the boat one last time,
this time I am going home. 
Yesterday I was taking others lives,
now I am reuniting with the ones that make my life important.

3 comments:

  1. Morning Soph's,
    Wow this is a really cool acrostic! I never would have thought of 'amid' for the first one and it really helps to enrich it in my opinion. Personally I've always struggled with doing ANZAC as an acrostic but you've really smashed this one out of the park! Just a small editing thing on the last two letters it's doing that thing where the writing goes off the page. So yeah. I look forwards to hearing some more of your writing when we finally get back to school.
    Take care
    -Liana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sophia
    I agree with Liana, this is a wonderful effort at an acrostic poem, so detailed; you have set the scene so vividly for the reader.
    Amid is a fantastic preposition to begin your poem!
    I wonder, have you done this piece of writing on a goole doc and embedded this into your blog? You may need to go back into html and adjust the size so your words come back onto the page.
    On our class site, under blogging, there is a quick tutorial Mrs Torrie prepared, on how to embed a doc onto your blog. Take a look!
    Keep up the excellent work.
    Mrs Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely writing Sophia, sadly not a lovely time nor place at the time. When I visited Gallipoli I felt words just like yours written here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.